The Jesse Brown Memorial Youth Scholarship Program honors young volunteers who are dedicated to serving veterans. Each year, one outstanding applicant receives the top scholarship in the amount of $20,000 to help fund their higher education. In addition, the top winner and parent receives an expense paid trip to DAV National Convention to receive the award and be recognized for their dedication and commitment to veterans. Additional scholarships are awarded in the amounts of $15,000, $10,000, $7,500 & $5,000.
2016’s top honor went to Shane Mathew of Coral Springs, FL., who has spent a total of 669 hours spanning a four-year period volunteering at the Miami VA Medical Center.
“Shane is a remarkable young man and very deserving of this scholarship,” said DAV National Director of Voluntary Services John Kleindienst.
The scholarship is open to volunteers age 21 or younger who have contributed a minimum of 100 hours credited through DAV or DAV Auxiliary. Nominations for this award may be submitted by the Voluntary Service Program Manager at a VA medical center, DAV Department Commander, or students may self-nominate themselves with inclusion of an essay on what volunteering for veterans means for them.
Named after former National Service Officer and Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jesse Brown, this award honors the memory of a DAV leader dedicated to serving veterans through recognition of those who carry on his legacy of service.
- Scholarships can be awarded to any volunteer who is age 21 or younger and has volunteered for a minimum of 100 hours at a VA medical center during the previous calendar year. All volunteer hours must be credited to the Disabled American Veterans.
- Volunteer hours accumulated under the DAV’s Local Veterans Assistance Program (LVAP) are also eligible for consideration.
- Scholarships can be used at any accredited institution of higher learning; to include universities, colleges, community colleges, vocational schools, etc.
- Scholarships must be utilized in full prior to the recipient attaining the age of 25, or within 6 years of receiving the scholarship, whichever is later.
- Immediate family members of the DAV national organization are eligible to receive a scholarship.
- Nominations for this award may be submitted by the Voluntary Service Program Manager at the VA medical center, DAV Department Commander, or the student may complete a self-nomination.
- All nomination packets should include a nomination form, essay, and any supporting documentation which you would like to have considered by the Selection Committee.
- The 2017 deadline for the Jesse Brown Memorial Youth Scholarship Program was March 31, 2017. The 2018 application will be available in November 2017.